A- A A+

Go to Enic-Naric homepage

You need information on recognition issues as

Higher Education Institution

Credential evaluator


Individual wishing to study/work abroad

UNESCO Regions

home > Assess (Professional recognition)
Assess (Professional recognition)

What you need to do to have your qualifications recognised outside the country where it was delivered will depend on what you want to do and on the country where you want to go. Most likely, you want your qualifications evaluated for one of the following reasons: you want to study, you want to work, or you want to emigrate (and most likely work also).

Depending on the country, it will be the educational institution (i.e. university), the Ministry responsible for education, or the ENIC-NARIC national information centre that will be responsible for the evaluation of your foreign diploma prior to admission.

If you need a recognition procedure for the purpose of employment in a certain profession, the professional recognition procedure depends largely on whether the profession in question is regulated or is not regulated in the host country.

If a profession is not regulated, formally a holder of a foreign qualification does not have to seek any recognition. It is the employer who takes the decision regarding employment of a holder of foreign qualification.

If a profession is regulated, the state nominates competent authorities, which take the decisions upon recognition of foreign qualifications for the purpose of take up and pursuit of the profession in question. In order to work in a regulated profession with foreign qualifications one must apply for the recognition of these qualifications by a competent authority.

What to expect

You will be required to provide a number of documents (originals or photocopies), and possibly to have some of them translated. Before the assessment you will be told:

  • how much the evaluation will cost (if there is a fee for the service);
  • how long the examination of your credentials will take (several weeks to several months depending on the complexity of your file);
  • what will happen if you submit forgeries or other false documents;
  • what type of document (for example a full equivalency, or a comparative report) you will obtain as a result of the assessment;
  • what you can do if you are not satisfied with the evaluation (how to appeal the decision).

What to avoid

Do not send any documentation (by email, regular mail, or fax) until and unless you have been specifically asked to do so by the appropriate agency. The documents required may not be the ones you think, or the agency you are sending them to may not be the appropriate one.

You will be saving time, money and the possible loss of important and confidential documents.


Do not have any document translated on your own until you are told specifically that such a translation is needed and how to proceed with this. In this way, you will avoid possible unnecessary expenses.

Do not provide original documents. In most cases, duly certified copies should be sufficient. In case of doubt, you may be required to show the original documents, but do not send them by mail.

Further information

If you have a question about the recognition of your degree, diploma or qualifications in one of the ENIC-NARIC countries listed in the right column, please click on the name of the country and contact the national information centre of that country for expert assistance.

You can also find information on policies and procedures for the recognition of qualifications in each ENIC-NARIC country page (right column).

According to the Directive 2005/36/EC, within the EU countries there are national contact points that can give you information on the recognition of your professional qualifications and guide you through the administrative formalities you need to complete. In order to know if a profession is regulated in a EU country, please visit the Regulated Professions Database: it contains information on the regulated professions covered by Directive 2005/36/EC, statistics on migrating professionals, contact points and competent authorities. This applies to professions regulated in the EU Member States, EEA countries and Switzerland.

For more detailed information on professional recognition procedures in other countries, please visit the UNESCO Regions section of the present website and contact directly the national authority of the country concerned.

See also:

List of information points for professional recognition in the EU member states, the EEA countries and Switzerland

Eures - The European JobMobility Portal

Europass documents