A- A A+

Go to Enic-Naric homepage

You need information on recognition issues as

Higher Education Institution

Credential evaluator


Individual wishing to study/work abroad

UNESCO Regions

home > Assess (Academic recognition)
Assess (Academic recognition)

What you need to do to have your qualification recognised outside the country where it was awarded will depend on what you want to do and on the country where you want to go. Most likely, you want your qualifications evaluated for one of the following reasons: you want to study, you want to work, or you want to emigrate (and most likely work also).

Depending on the country, it will be the educational institution (i.e. university), the Ministry responsible for education, or the ENIC-NARIC national information centre that will be responsible for the evaluation of your foreign diploma prior to admission.

In principle, academic recognition is sought only for admission to further studies and in the majority of national systems is directly made by higher education institutions. Official lists of recognised higher education institutions in ENIC-NARIC countries are provided in each country page on the right column.

What to expect

You will be required to provide a number of documents (originals or photocopies), and possibly to have some of them translated. Before the assessment you will be told:
  • how much the evaluation will cost (if there is a fee for the service);
  • how long the examination of your credentials will take (several weeks to several months depending on the complexity of your file);
  • what will happen if you submit forgeries or other false documents;
  • what type of document (for example a full equivalency, or a comparative report) you will obtain as a result of the assessment;
  • what you can do if you are not satisfied with the evaluation (how to appeal the decision).

What to avoid

Do not send any documentation (by email, regular mail, or fax) until and unless you have been specifically asked to do so by the appropriate service. The documents required may not be the ones you think, or the service you are sending them to may not be the appropriate one.

You will be saving time, money and the possible loss of important and confidential documents.


Do not have any document translated on your own until you are told specifically that such a translation is needed and how to proceed with this. In this way, you will avoid possible unnecessary expenses.

Do not provide original documents. In most cases, duly certified copies should be sufficient. In case of doubt, you may be required to show the original documents, but do not send them by mail.

Further information

If you have a question about the recognition of your degree, diploma or qualifications in one of the ENIC-NARIC countries listed in the right column, please click on the name of the country and contact the national information centre of that country for expert assistance.

You can also find information on policies and procedures for the recognition of qualifications in each ENIC-NARIC country page (right column).

For more detailed information on academic recognition procedures in other countries, please visit the UNESCO Regions section of the present website and contact directly the national authority of the country concerned.