A- A A+

Go to Enic-Naric homepage

You need information on recognition issues as

Higher Education Institution

Credential evaluator


Individual wishing to study/work abroad

UNESCO Regions

home > Regulated professions
Regulated professions

Some occupations are regulated (i.e. Medical Doctor, Lawyer, Teacher, etc.), while others are not. Whether you are planning to emigrate permanently, to go abroad temporarily or to return to your home country to start working after completing studies abroad, it is imperative that you enquire about the status of your chosen occupation, how to proceed to have your qualifications evaluated, and what additional steps you may need to take before you are authorised to practise.

There are essentially two ways to regulate occupations: the use of specific titles is controlled (for instance, the title Certified Translator), but one can practise without other restrictions, or the practice of the profession is restricted (for instance, Medical Doctor, or Engineer): it is legally forbidden to practise the profession unless specific requirements are met.

Additionally, even if an occupation is not formally regulated, there may still be restrictions to employment, in that employers may impose specific requirements, like membership in a professional association, or having certain academic credentials.

With some professions (especially where the practice is controlled), quotas may also exist.

Finally, if emigrating, you should enquire about residence/immigration requirements (visas, temporary permits, vaccinations, etc.), and the time required for the various procedures.

Please note that every country has its own list of regulated professions.

Further information

The ENIC-NARIC national information centre (see the list of countries to the right) should be able to assist you or to direct you to the appropriate source of information.

According to the Directive 2005/36/CE, within the EU countries there are assistance centres that can give you assistance on the recognition of your professional qualifications and guide you through the administrative formalities you need to complete. In order to know if a profession is regulated in a EU country, please visit the Regulated Professions Database: it contains information on the regulated professions covered by Directive 2005/36/CE, statistics on migrating professionals, contact points and competent authorities. This applies to professions regulated in the EU Member States, EEA countries and Switzerland.

For more detailed information on professional recognition procedures in other countries, please visit the UNESCO section of the present website and/or contact directly the national authority of the country concerned.

See also:

Eures- The European Job Mobility Portal