A- A A+

Go to Enic-Naric homepage

You need information on recognition issues as

Higher Education Institution

Credential evaluator


Individual wishing to study/work abroad

UNESCO Regions

home > USA

National Information Centres

U.S. Department of Education

International Affairs Office

400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-8401

IMPORTANT: The U.S. ENIC does not evaluate academic or professional credentials. See below: “Policies and Procedures for the Recognition of Foreign Qualifications”.


Phone: Submit all inquiries via email.
Fax: +1 202-401-2508
Web Site:
Contact person: Rafael M. Nevárez, International Education Specialist

National education bodies

United States Department of Education (ED)

The Department of Education's mission is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access.

Link(s): English
Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA)
United States Department of State

The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) of the U.S. Department of State fosters mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries around the world. It offers a variety of grant programs the promote international exchange, and its EducationUSA resource provides information on studying in the United States.

Link(s): English
Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)

CHEA is an association of degree-granting colleges and universities and recognizes institutional and programmatic accrediting organisations.

Link(s): English

System of education

Structure of U.S. Education

University education

The United States has a single, comprehensive higher education system. It is not divided into university and non-university sub-sectors. The following links provide information about degree-granting institutions of higher education.

U.S. Institutions and Programs
Link(s): English
Organisation of Tertiary Institutions
State Role in Governing Tertiary Education
Structure of U.S. Education

Quality Assurance in Higher Education

Accreditation in the United States
Link(s): English, English

Post-secondary non-university education

The United States has a variety of education and training providers offering non-degree programs at the postsecondary level. The following links provide information about them.

Organisation of Tertiary Institutions
State Role in Governing Tertiary Education
Career and Technical Qualifications

Recognised higher education institutions

In the United States, quality assurance is administered by nongovernmental accrediting agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Accrediting agencies develop evaluation criteria and conduct peer evaluations to assess whether criteria are met. Institutions and/or programs that request an accreditor's evaluation and meet the agency's criteria are then "accredited" by that accreditor. For complete information about an accredited institution -- such as accreditation history, branch campuses, etc. -- consult the accrediting agency's website.

U.S. Department of Education (Database of Accredited Institutions and Programs)

The U.S. Department of Education recognizes U.S. accrediting agencies that accredit postsecondary institutions and programs in the United States. (No overseas institutions or programs are listed.) The Department's database only lists institutions and programs accredited by U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agencies.  

Link(s): English
CHEA Database of Institutions and Programs

CHEA recognizes U.S. accrediting agencies that accredit higher education institutions and programs in the United States, as well as in other countries. The CHEA database lists institutions and programs accredited by CHEA-recognized and/or U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agencies.

Link(s): English
Diploma Mills and Fraud (detailed information for avoiding unrecognised providers)
Link(s): English

Policies and procedures for the recognition of qualifications

IMPORTANT: The U.S. ENIC (U.S. Department of Education) does not evaluate/validate academic or professional credentials. Please do not submit requests for such evaluations; however, feel free to contact the U.S. ENIC regarding other inquiries. See below for general information on policies and procedures for the recognition of foreign credentials.

Recognition of Foreign Qualifications (general information)
Link(s): English

Recognition of Qualifications held by Refugees

Qualifications Framework


Note: The United States does not have a National Qualifications Framework.

Self Evaluation Report

No link is available at this time

Diploma Supplement (DS) Information


The Diploma Supplement is not a feature of U.S. higher education

U.S. higher education institutions that admit European students are aware of the Diploma Supplement, as are U.S. credential evaluation services. However, the Diploma Supplement is generally not issued by U.S. higher education institutions. Some U.S. institutions may -- at their discretion and upon request -- supply a version of the Diploma Supplement to students or graduates who seek to study within the European Higher Education Area. This is not a requirement and is purely voluntary. There exists no law or authority in the decentralized U.S. higher education system that can mandate such a document or policy.

Chart of national higher education structure

Map of the U.S. Education System

Link(s): English

Access to higher education